Featured Post

Ancient Teachings

Genesis 1, 28 says that we should "go forth and multiply, and replenish the earth." Not all Bibles have this "replenish the e...

Monday, August 22, 2016

The law of averages and being calm in traffic. Gamification in my life.

Luckily I don't sit in traffic very often. I either leave home very early or I leave after the traffic has ended.

When I do sit in traffic, I like to travel at the average speed of the traffic.

So one morning, at about 6.45 am, I got onto the N1 at Koeberg Road intersection and went 56.7 km/h, which my car computer told me was the average speed of the traffic. For those without built in car computers, I use a US 99 cent program called Dashometer which runs on my Smart Phone.

At one point there was a gap of about 200 metres open in front of me. I was in the middle lane and I could see upset people overtaking and undertaking me. And then I could see their break-lights and I wondered why people do this?

I like to play a little game. I like to see if once I get onto the highway, can I get to town without touching my brake?

Most of my friends play computer games. I don't play computer games. I prefer "gamification", i.e. real life games and I have been "playing" these "games" for decades.

These games are better for my stress levels and a lot cheaper than all the equipment and software one needs for computer games, and I use less petrol, and I am much less stressed than other people when I get to my destination.

Please can people tell me why they don't just travel at the average speed of the traffic?

No comments:

Post a Comment